2002 vibration (long)

November 2003, I dropped of my 2002 4.6L XLT at the dealer for an oil change. I mentioned a howling from the rear end on deceleration between

110kmh and 100kmh. The mechanic diagnosed the noise as coming from the differential, ordered the parts, and rebuilt it. Big mistake, let the agony begin...

The next day, when I got up to speed on the highway, I noticed a low frequency vibration and a droning noise when cruising at constant throttle between 100kmh and 120kmh, goes away when you lift, not so noticeable on acceleration. The following day, Saturday, I went back to the dealer and took a test drive with a mechanic. 'Yeah, that's not right, I know we've replaced at least one diff after a rebuild... come back on Monday'.

Dropped the car off on Monday, drove to work in the rental that the dealer provided (I don't have ESP, they covered it). Later in the afternoon, the service manager calls 'Ummm... can you come out for a test drive and show me what you're talking about, I don't seem to notice anything...' Oh great, I think, here we go, the big runaround... Tuesday I head out on the highway with the service manager driving, right there, that's the noise, noticeable between 100kmh and 120kmh. Ok, he acknowledges that he can detect it, barely. We go back to the shop; he searches for info on the computer. Oh look, an SSM on the rear end howling. Huh, we shouldn't have touched it. Tell you what, let's leave it until Ford comes up with a fix eh, then we'll sort it out.

One week later, I'm back. No sir, I can't take it, it ain't right, fix it! There's too much lash in the driveline as well. When I lift off and reapply the throttle, it makes a huge CLUNK. The diff was not rebuilt correctly, says I. Out we go for a test drive, and then back to his office for a scan through the computer. Ah, this sounds like it... low frequency vibration, during cruise, between speeds... yep, that could be it. Let's try rotating the driveshaft 90 degrees. Ouch, that's worse, rotate... nope, rotate... nope. Ok, Fix is a so-called 'permanently balanced' driveshaft. Great, let's try it...

Damn. That's worse. Well, how about we reposition it... rotate 90 degrees, road test. Nope, even worse. Tell you what, leave it like this, my regional manager should be in during the next week or two, and I want to let him see this... Couple of days goes by, and then I get a call. Bring the car in; there are a few things Ford wants me to try. Drop the car off again... get a dealer-supplied rental again...

, ... Hi, we checked it out, and the new driveshaft is out of spec, we've ordered another... Days later... Nope, maybe a little better but not fixed. Ok, we ran it in the shop, and can hear the noise. When we put the left wheel on the ground so it's not spinning, no noise. Right wheel not spinning, noise. Must be the left side half-shaft, oh, and we also found a bad left rear wheel hub bearing. Ordering parts, come back when they're in. BTW, we're into December sometime here...

So, what's your bet? Did the half-shaft replacement fix anything? Correct, not a thing (else why would I be posting this eh?) All this time, I've been maintaining that it must be the diff, but of course the service manager can't admit that, or else Ford won't pay for a warranty repair, and his mechanic will get a charge-back. I can sympathize; do what you gotta do, but get my car fixed.

Finally he says it 'Must be the diff, we've tried everything else, but I want to wait a few weeks before I order one, warranty costs on your truck are high right now, and Ford might yell at me'.

January. Oil change again (yeah, I drive a few miles). Oh, and the rear lift glass appliqué has cracked... gets fixed (poorly, outsourced paint and install) Diff gets ordered... installed. Well, are we all smiling? I wish... It's definitely an improvement, the lash is gone and the vibration is greatly reduced, but this still isn't the truck I brought to you in November. 'Gee, I don't know what else to do...' I just know he's thinking 'please go away...'

February... I go back. 'Look, I can't take this. I know you're out of ideas, but even though I've got a warranty, I'll even pay to get this sorted out. Let's balance the driveshaft. Send it out, I'll pay.' Off it goes to a reputable driveline shop, this new 'permanently balanced' driveshaft. Ah, so... it is a few grams out at either end! Driveline guy says there would have been only minor vibration with that much imbalance, still, it is an improvement. Since it was out, and it did improve things, the service manager says he'll try putting it through warranty, and it gets accepted. As I continue to drive each day, I notice that the vibration is slightly worse after 40 or 50km, something's warming up? (I'm still thinking diff here...)

Now we're stalled again. I phone up the service manager, and tell him I'll pay for some diagnostic time. I want to drive the car without the rear driveshaft in to relieve my paranoia that it might be engine or transmission related. I also mention that it's probably time for him to book the EVA (vibration analysis) tools, which he had previously claimed only two sets exist in Canada, and a 4 - 6 week booking time to get the tools and tech to operate them. When I show up in the morning, he says 'I need your car all day. I've got the chassis ears. Here's a rental, I'll call you...'

So, the test results are in. That vibration that drives me nuts? Well, according to Ford, it's 'normal', or at least within their tolerance. Yeah, but not mine! And, what sort of diagnostic was this anyway, there's hardly any additional mileage on the truck, not to mention that I don't think chassis ears are the same thing as an EVA tool, which is the proper diagnostic tool for this problem. That seems to be the service manager?s final word. Now he's got some Ford 'limits' to hide behind, he doesn't have to go any further. I must admit, he's been good at trying to work through this, but won't accept any responsibility for the initial poor work. If the diff had been rebuilt correctly at first, or his mechanic had been aware of the SSM, none of this would likely have happened. So, the obsession with getting Ford to pay for everything, rather than taking responsibility for work at the dealership level is hurting me.

Further driving has me thinking torque converter now. Gets worse when warm, and is noticably worse when TC in lockup. Tough to tell though, I can only tap the brake to unlock it, and it goes back in within seconds.

Can I trade it in? Doubtful, at least if a sensible sales guy looks up the vehicle history. Can I fix it? How? Anyone got any ideas? Anyone tried the Canadian arbitration process? Though that's probably out since the vibration is within Ford's 'normal' limit.

Alex

Reply to
AlexB

[snip]

I'm in the same situation with my 2003 Lincoln Aviator (2WD). I've had the differential replaced and it didn't do a single thing. Ford tech rep says it is the planetary gears on the transmission and that it is normal. It is NOT normal to my ears.

I went through the normal gyrations with the service department, spoke with the manager of the dealership, etc. No joy.

I've started the arbitration process (I'm in California). Sent certified letters to Ford describing the problem and the timeline.

I just (Monday) received a letter from Ford saying they'd like to resolve it and that someone will contact me in 7 days. That has not happened yet.

Reply to
Rupa Schomaker

Rupa,

In my case, the howling noise was cured by the initial differential rebuild, and has not reappeared with the new differential. What I'm fighting now, is a low frequency droning noise and vibration that is most noticeable between 100kmh and 120kmh, though it can be detected at slower speeds. It's also most noticeable when the torque converter is in lockup.

AlexB

Reply to
AlexB