2003 4.6 4X4 Explorer "Jerks" on Acceleration

I always enjoy reading this newsgroup, and hope that I can get some help with the following problem:

My 2003 4.6 4X4 with 10, 000 miles jerks when I accelerate hard from a standing start. I think that it is repeatedly trying to engage and disengage the front wheels, until it shifts into second gear. It is as if it is detecting some rear wheel slippage (there is no slippage - dry pavement, no spinning wheels) and tries to lock up the front end, then unlocks, locks again etc., for those first few 3 or 4 seconds from zero.

I don't remember it doing this when new.

When I select 4X4 High and then start the acceleration there is no jerkiness.

I have been to the dealer, and they have indicated "nothing found at this time". Well, at least it is on the record.

Has anyone else experienced/solved this problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
John