2003 4.6 4X4 Explorer "Jerks" on Acceleration

I always enjoy reading this newsgroup, and hope that I can get some help with the following problem:

My 2003 4.6 4X4 with 10, 000 miles jerks when I accelerate hard from a standing start. I think that it is repeatedly trying to engage and disengage the front wheels, until it shifts into second gear. It is as if it is detecting some rear wheel slippage (there is no slippage - dry pavement, no spinning wheels) and tries to lock up the front end, then unlocks, locks again etc., for those first few 3 or 4 seconds from zero.

I don't remember it doing this when new.

When I select 4X4 High and then start the acceleration there is no jerkiness.

I have been to the dealer, and they have indicated "nothing found at this time". Well, at least it is on the record.

Has anyone else experienced/solved this problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
fffffffffffffffffffffffff

Another possibility could be engine stumble, but I'd hope the computer would detect it. Is it repeatable? Drive the vehicle on the mechanic or service writer test run and demonstrate the problem. Your driving style may be different than the repair team.

Reply to
rakster

Just experienced this and had it fixed. My tranny shop correctly diagnosed it as the transfer case.

Like you I switched in 4x4 and it went away. It jerked worse on a hill, from a standing start, with a trailer.

My Ford dealer suggested I let them 'service' the transfer case (change the oil). As I had recently assigned all my assets and my children's future assets and their first borns over to the dealership, I thought what the hell, its only money. So I told them to go ahead.

It fixed it!

Its been 1,500 miles now and I have even tried it with a trailer with 40 landscaping blocks in it. The transmission is as solid as a ........ well, landscaping block, I suppose.

Some threads have suggested that the transfer case is a weak link. My tranny shop says they see lots of broken ones.

Hope this helps.

Jethro

Reply to
Don't Hit Reply

Jethro,

Thanks for the reply.

What year is your Explorer, and did they simply change the transfer case fluid, or was other work done on the transfer case as well?

How did they explain the cause of the problem and how did they explain that changing the fluid would solve the problem? I have only 20, 000 km on this

2003.

Thanks again.

John

Reply to
John

Exploder, 1998, 110,000 miles (at that time). When they did the engine work, I mentioned the problem to the service manager. He suggested reprogramming the transfer case. My regular service manager came back off vacation and said the first guy didn't know what he was talking about. This is a big city Ford dealership!! He said that you couldn't reprogram them (another attempt at oil synchronization perhaps).

Anyway, the 2nd guy suggested doing the TC service which he had seen work for this problem before.

All I can say is that it worked for me. The guy explained to me and convinced me it was worth the $whatever it cost, I cannot repeat explanation as I cannot remember well enough to commit to this learned newsgroup. I think it was under $120.

A guy at a tranny shop who I trust, earlier had told me that he looks on the truck that comes around to collect the scrap boxes and he sees a LOT of Exploder Transfer Cases (TCs). I also had some correspondence with a guy who suggested a self help fix for it, having taken it apart. So I gather it is not rare.

The mileage difference between yours and mine would worry me, but according to common lore, the TC is poor reliability and its $1,400+ to change. I'd have it serviced first! However, the good news is that you're under warranty.

Hope that helps.

Jethro

Reply to
Don't Hit Reply