2003 6CD/Radio into 1998 Ex?

Does anyone know if an adapter lead is available to install a new model (2003?) 6cd/radio into a 1998 Explorer? I've just bought one of these

6CD/Radios from a breakers yard and I'm rather keen to install it in my '98 Ex. So, are adapter plugs & leads available or do I have to get the soldering iron warmed up? BTW, I'm in the UK.

TIA Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

Hi Simon.. Having just done this, I can say you need both.. ! ;) Plus you might have to by-pass the factory amp.. (if fitted). (Depends on the model of your original radio..) Mine is a 98 with cassette and remote cd stacker plus amp. I purchased adapter leads from eBay and made up one myself.. Best part is that the remote stacker is compatible so I have 12 cd capacity..

Cheers Kevin..

Reply to
KJay

Thanks for that Kevin Things might not be as bad as I first thought. I never even thought that there might be a separate amp - I just assumed that it was incorporated in the radio head unit. Hmm.... My original factory fitted radio/cassette is a 7000RDS unit. Dunno if that's the same as fitted to US models... I'll have a search around eBay to see what I can find. What mods did you have to do to the leads you bought to get 'em to work? Oh, and where is the separate amp fitted (if there is one)?

Cheers, Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

Hi Shawn.. amp is located behind the right hand rear panel... runs from tailgate to rear passenger door..

Good info here..

?whichpage=2 The type of leads/plugs you need will depend on your original radio.. Ford used various combinations.. Plus yours might be UK specific.. Mine had one large rectangular plug with 16 pins and another with 8 pins inline. To use my existing cd stacker I made up pins for the rear of the CD6 radio. Bought other leads here..
Cheers Kevin.. (I'm in Oz btw) ;)

Reply to
KJay