2003 explorer transmission question

Hi...I have a 2003 ford explorer eddie bauer v-6. Since the newer models of the explorer don't have a dipstick to check the fluid levels in the trans, how do you check the levels ? thanks ...george

Reply to
George K.

In the bottom of the trans pan is a hex head drain plug. In the centre of that plug is another plug screwed into a standpipe. Unfortunately, there is no way to "check" the fluid level as it becomes a matter of adding fluid and allowing the excess to drain off.

I forgot to mention in another reply that there are special preparations involved to make sure that we don't get false indications. These include having the trans fluid at the correct temperature and then moving the shift quadrant through all ranges. Naturally the motor needs to be running to ensure that the torque converter is full.

If there are no external leaks and the level in the transfer case isn't mysteriously growing, I probably wouldn't get too concerned with the fluid level. I would, however, be sure to adhere to any recommended service interval (written, of course, in either owners manual ot other authoritive source).

Reply to
Jim Warman