2003 Explorer won't go in Park

Hello, I have 2003 EB All wheel drive Explorer. I love the truck and it has been running great since we purchased it 4 months ago. I've noticed over the last few days when I got to put the tranny in park, it stops sometimes at the reverse slot and won't go any farther. I have to pull it back down into drive again (or neutral) and then go back up again and put it into Park. Today it did this twice. I'm making sure I'm pulling the lever back (toward me) enough as usual, but it just stops at the reverse slot. I've got the extended warranty on this thing and I'm glad we have it. Is this something serious with the tranny, or is there linkage that is off alignment. Yes I know (linkage) the old days, but not sure how this setup is laid out. Thanks in advance for any help. Just wondering if anyone has ran into this problem before.

JH

Reply to
Jeff

What we find most with these types of concerns is mud or such trapped in the MLP sensor. I have come across two or three where the two screws that attach the cable actuating lever to the shift column control tube have come loose - the shifter will have a noticably different feel when this happens.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Would this apply to a '98 Mountaineer? My shifter problem is a bit different. Mine will go into whatever gear I want but it is occasionally accompanied by a loud clicking that sounds as if some sort of locking mechanism is trying to engage when it shouldn't. Naturally it doesn't show itself when I bring it to a dealer.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio