2003 front end clunk

My wife has had a occasional clunk ion right side of the front end of a 2003 Explorer Sport. It happens when leaving a parking space and braking. The vehicle is only 3 months old so it is not something worn. The dealer could not duplicate it when driving it so I do not think he even took the wheel off.

When I did I found that the rotor has something like a 1/8" to 3/16" of slop around the wheel studs. As my whimpy inpact wrench removed the lug nuts without any problem I think that the lug nuts were not torgued up corrently allowing the rotor to move that 1/8" causing the clunk. I just put new rotors on my Escort and the holes were much closer to the stud size. So soes anyone know if that much clearance is normal around the studs for this vehicle?

Thanks Tom

Reply to
tomf

I have the Explorer SPort Trac XLT same year. I had that identical clunk & took it to the dealer. They said it was the stearing stops (whatever that may be). If you keep them lubed i.e. every oil change ask to have them greased, you won't get that clunk any more!

Reply to
Hedonist33