2004 explorer auto trans keeps downshifting back and fourth from high to 3rd

when this started happening i noticed that the cold idle would go to 1500 rpm, then take it's time to come down to normal, then when warm it still goes to 1500 rpm then comes down to normal rpm a little quicker, at the same time the transmission shifts normal, but between 45 and 55 mph the trans downshifts from high down to 3rd, then back and fourth from high to

3rd, any suggestions
Reply to
marlow

Not sure if this applies to the '04's, but a similar problem on my '96 was recently fixed by replacing the engine coolant temp sensor (the one that feeds the engine computer, not the one that feeds the dash gauge). I figure it was telling the engine computer the engine wasn't at full operating temperature, and in my case it affected both warm and cold idle speeds, torque converter lockup, and tranny shift points. YMMV

Steve.

Reply to
Just_Steve

thanks for the info, i will check it out, marlow.

Reply to
marlow