2004 Explorer (Sports Trac) - estimate question

I have a Explorer Sports Trac & a guy rear ended me and bent my rear bumper. The other driver's bumper hit so hard the bumper fell off. Well anyway, I went to get a estimate at the insurance of the other driver & he said the 2004 bumper costs $437. I commented that the hit was so hrad I was concerned about the frame. he said that the frame was fine.

My ???? (My question). How can he know that the frame is fine. He didn't even look under the truck or anything. I wa there when he inspected it. It seems like he assunes everything is fine.

Does anybody know the rules or wher I can research stuff like that??

Thanks in Advance, d Q snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
DQ

Correction on my question: The other drivers bumper fell off... not mine. Thanks, D q snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

DQ wrote:

Reply to
DQ

Did you look for yourself? If you are getting the work done at a reputable shop, if they find more damage when they install the new bumper, they will ask the insurance company for more money. The easy way to check the frame will be to fit the new bumber. If it lines up with the frame, it is unlikely there was any frame damage. You could have a frame shop check your vehicle. Ford publishes frame dimensions that frame shops use to check the frames.

Reply to
C. E. White

I agree with Ed, kinda. My answer would be to have the frame dimensions checked by another body shop, one you choose. If the frame is fine, then you will pay for the check - and for the peace of mind. If the dimensions are out, then you have evidence to take back to the other guy's insurer.

By the way, why aren't you doing this through your own insurer? Since it was the other guy's fault, and since your own insurer wants to keep you happy, they will make sure the job is done right, and they will also get your deductible back for you.

C. E. White wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Probably because he doesn't have collision coverage. What you just described are the advantages of having it.

Ken

Bill Jeffrey wrote:

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris