2006 Explorer, Tire pressure sensor fault

Hello All..... Had a problem where I had to replace a damaged wheel on my Explorer. The tire center also replaced the sensor and band. However, I get a sensor error on the dash. The tire dealer said the dealer must reset the sensor. True? Thanks for your help......

Neil

Reply to
nleipziger

Since that sensor was already trained for your car, there should be no need to retrain the sensor... Often, a short road test can clear error messages since the sensors "go to sleep" after a few minutes in a stationary condition.

If the tire shop dismounted the tire incorrectly, there is a very good chance that the sensor may have been damaged... Scanning the TPMS for codes would make sure that the suspect sensor is at fault... and that the concern isn't generated by some other cause. It would be at this point that we would have to retrain ALL the sensors in the system.... if a sensor is faulty, it generally will not "train".

As it stands, the concern you have should not be present from a simple tire change-over.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim, thanks for responding. I beleive the tire dealer replaced the sensor with a new one fearing the old one damaged when i damaged the wheel. Would that matter?

Neil

Reply to
nleipziger

Yes, if it is a replacement sensor, it will have to be trained to the car.... Sensors cannot be trained individually... they will all have to be trained as a group (initiating the training process erases all programmed sensors). The tire shop should absorb the cost of this with no questions asked....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thank you for the info!

Neil

Reply to
nleipziger

I just went through this because of the exact same circumstance. I had a flat fixed on my 2005 XLT and they damaged the pressure sensor. They replaced it, but I got the "sensor fault" message. There is a lot of incorrect information out there about training Ford sensors. Apparently GM sensors can "train themselves", but Ford has be done by someone that has the proper magnetic training apparatus. My tire store didn't have the proper equipment and they said the dealer would have to do it. (However, even some dealers are not up to speed on doing this procedure). Since I was still under 36,000 mi, the tire place said the dealer would do it under the warranty. So, after a couple of hours at the dealers, the sensors were trained, the fault message was gone, and they did it under warranty. Thankfully I didn't have to get in a battle with the tire store over dealer charges.

By the way, you can find the training procedure on the internet. It involves turning the ignition on and off three times, stepping on the brake, having the horn honk, putting the magnet (sounds like it is a donut kind of thing) around the valve stem (in the proper sequence), the horn honks, move the next, etc. It doesn't sound too hard, but you have to have the magnet.

Houst> Thank you for the info!

Reply to
Houston Kid

Thanks for the heads up! The vehichle goes in for service next week for other issues. Nothing serious.

Neil

Reply to
nleipziger

Misinformation is right... the band and clamp style sensors cannot be trained with the magnet. These sensors must be trained with an electronic transponder held against the tire (if the sensor has been propely positioned) 180 degrees out from the valve stem. If the sensor is improperly positioned, it will turn into a hunt AND, it is very likely that the sensor will be damaged when the tire is removed in the future...

Reply to
Jim Warman