2010 Explorers

What gives with Ford no longer offering standard transmissions? The fact that there line of 2010 Explorers are only automatic is keeping me from ever considering upgrading my 92.

Reply to
Christopher Guidry

You are in the minority of potential Explorer owners. Safety, fuel economy rules, and emmision control rules require extensive testing of individual drive trains. These tessts are expensive. Ford probably assumes (and are likely correct) that not enough manual transmission Explorers would be sold to justify the time and expense of qualifying a manual transmission drive train. Plus in many cases the automatic transmission drive trains are getting better fuel economy than the manual transmission drive trains (at least when tested by the EPA).

I guess you will need to get a Toyota 4Runner- oh wait, they don't offer a manual in that, or Nissan Pathfinder, opps, they don't offer a manual in that either, or a GM, oh they don't offer a manual in any SUVs. I guess you'll have to get a Subaru Forester, a Ford Escape, a Toyota RAV4, or a Toyota FJ Cruiser.

The fact is, it is not just Ford that doesn't offer automatics in mid and large SUVs. Almost no one does in the US. Given our rules, it makes no sense to qualify a manu transmission drive train when the number of potential sales is tiny.

If you like your 92 Exlorer you probably just keep it. Nothing sold today is that "basic."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Catering to pansy drivers is basically the summary.

Reply to
Christopher Guidry

Catering to pansy drivers who never learned to drive a real car is the summary of this post. Lazy drivers who don't appreciate the road, there car, or anything that a vehicle is about are the leading cause that one day vehicles will be unmanned. Such a sad, sad way to live.

Reply to
Christopher Guidry

As very well informed and knowledgeable Automotive Enthusiast, you may be right in your opinion. On the other hand, the drivers and manufacturers of "real cars" may feel differently. Particularly those pansy, lazy, non-real drivers of new Porsches, Maserattis, Lamborghinis, etc, et al that have moved to automatic transmissions would be interested in your input. There are "gear heads" and then there are those that need a lube job!!

Reply to
sparky01

Auto magazines are full of stories lately saying that the dual clutch automatic is rapidly replacing manual transmissions. It looks like manuals are about to be a thing of the past.

Reply to
Shoe

Using your logic, shouldn't we all be driving horse drawn wagons? Or maybe stomping on pedals like the Model T used?

I suppose you'd prefer hand cranks to electric starters and acteleye lights to electric lights....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Alas, the shift to automatic transmissions in the US is symptomatic of the decline of western civilization...just let somebody else think about the driving, I'm along for the ride

On a more serious vein, I am in total agreement with you. The '97 XLT I have was the last year you could get any upgraded options with a manual trans, afterwards they were only available on the base model, and with the next body style the manual option was dropped altogether, some 10 years back. My Explorer has been the most useful and reliable vehicle I have ever owned and I would have upgraded it during that period had Ford still let me do the driving, but like almost all domestic offerings, they have dumbed down most of their models now. I now drive an '08 Mustang, where you can get a manual in any setup, and keep the Explorer for days like today (14" of snow).

There is still one domestic SUV that has a manual transmission offering, the H3 Hummer. I seriously looked at that to replace the Explorer, but it faired poorly in comparison to my '97...bigger outside, smaller inside, less power, same ground clearance (mine has bigger tires than standard), so I just kept the old beast. Sad thing is everywhere else in the world the manual transmission is on 80-90% of the vehicles, even those virtually identical to what is here. If you want to feel bad, look at how the Explorer is equipped in Australia. Too bad the steering is on the "wrong" side.

Reply to
Vic Klein

Why would you want a manual transmission. Just get in and drive. Driving shouldn't be work. Period.

Even my Vette is automatic.

Get with the program, man. Its transportation.

GeorgeC

Reply to
George Csahanin

Automatics usually want to get right into top gear. The dumb things don't see the hills and corners ahead.

Reply to
Beryl

It is sort of like music, sure you can just put on a CD and have sound, but the joy of making music by playing an instrument is a thing unto itself. Likewise with cooking, you can buy a frozen dinner, its just food after all, but many get pleasure out of creating the meal. In a vehicle with automatic, it is just as you describe...transportation. With that argument, you may as well take the bus or a cab, then you don't even have to steer. But with a manual, you are interacting with the car and its environment, and the pleasure of a good shift is part of the enjoyment of the vehicle. It makes getting there a significant part of the fun. It is not work.

=Vic=

Reply to
Vic Klein

The highest gear appropriate for the speed is where the good fuel economy is... (to hell with fuel economy, I want to row my truck down the road).

The new crop of electronically controlled transmissions is, for the most part, working quite well... usually delivering almost unoticeable shifts, excellent fuel economy (all things considered) a a very high degree of reliability.

Earlier transmissions were adaptations of valve body controlled deigns where newer vehicles are getting transmissions designed specifically for electronic control.

The list of safety and convenience features is growing by leaps and bounds almost daily... Adaptive headlights, adaptive cruise control, side object detection, active park assist... even integrating your personal devices into the SYNC feature... The future of the automobile is going to be fascinating..

Reply to
Jim Warman

The highest gear appropriate for the speed works on the flatlands. It tends to runaway when going downhill.

Dad's '98 XLT Auto shifts very nicely. There's one particular place, letting off the gas to slow for a sharp corner while going uphill, where it *clunks* every time. I think it begins to upshift and immediately downshifts again. If it would just stay in the gear it's at...

My own truck has a manual. And of course, I screw up plenty of shifts myself.

YUCK!

Reply to
Beryl

"A 2003 lawsuit revealed that the FBI was able to surreptitiously turn on the built-in microphones in automotive systems like General Motors' OnStar to snoop on passengers' conversations."

From another thread, in another group, about cell phones. I thought the line about automotive systems might be fascinating here.

Reply to
Beryl

Of course you can always "Manu-matic" it. A poor substitute for total maual tranny, but you can hold down or downshift gears that way

fwiw, our old bulletproof 78 Bronco was a auto tranny's beast and we never had a lick of trouble running it in 4 low at 70 mph while chasing pronghorns. Ran it for 230k miles before the body rusted off. The 400 motor and rest of the drive train was still good, so sold it to my mechanic buddy who made it his plow truck....

Dunno as I'll see that kind of durability from our 200 XLS Exploder, but at 137k she runs fine and is

99% rust free.

Dave

Reply to
Rufus Leaking

are you sure about that. In 4 low even with the transmission itself in OD my Explorer has the engine at redline by 50 mph.

Ran it for 230k miles

Reply to
Ashton Crusher