4x4 malfunction

Hi: I am new to the group and have a problem with my 1992 Explorer. the other day I needed to use the 4x4 in the snow. I selected 4x4 via the dash panel..........the light came on............but the vehicle did NOT operate in 4 wheel. I tried deselecting etc but to no avail. Also when I select 4 low the light does not come on.

My mechanic is stumped for ideas.

By viewing previous comments on this forum there are obviously a lot of Explorer genius out there......is there anyone, or more than one, that can give me some hints as to what is wrong, or what to look at? The snow is on its way back and I need the old girl to run in 4 wheel!

Thanks for your kind attention

Clueless in Canada.

Reply to
hootnroar84

This could be due to a variety of things (ala cable/connection, computer module, stuck transfer case motor, etc). The only way to really know is to have it scanned.

Short of that, check the electric motor sticking out of the transfer case. See it it makes any sound when switching drive modes. If not, check the connection, and if good maybe give the motor a little wrap with a hammer or mallet (this sometimes unsticks stuck motors).

hth

Reply to
Roadie

That's a pretty classic failure mode for the motor on the side of the transmission case. Usually it's just stuck for one reason or another. Mine did the same thing two months ago. I pulled the motor and opened up the gear end of it to put new stops in it and lube it. Tested it for movement by hooking it to 12v to verify the motor itself worked (It did) before putting it all back together. There are marks on the transfer case shaft that the motor butts up to showing how to point it for the various modes. You'll want the motor set to the same position as the TC shaft when you put it back together. I put mine back on and it worked fine again. If you feel you are not up to the disassembly of the motor and putting new stops inside (the original nylon ones usually disintegrate, I made new ones from rubber fuel line) you can buy a new motor (which I assume includes the gear end but I could be wrong) for about $150 and put it on.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Reply to
hootnroar84

Thanks for your input.................much appreciated.