4x4 not engaging

Before I get hammered for posting a question on a RANGER here, Ford apparently used the same transaxle on the 92/93 Rangers...

Problem: When I push the 4x4 button on the dash, I hear a click in the computer behind the drivers seat. Then about 2 seconds later I hear another click. Also when I push the button, the idle speed seems to go down.

I removed the motor, disassembled, cleaned and put back on. I did test w/12V to make sure it worked.. Worked fine. But after I put it back on, notta. One note though.. When I took the motor apart, there were some plastic pieces, apparently from the "2WD stop."

I could not find a pix or diagram that shows the correct placement of this piece. Since it was in pieces, I know I'll have to get back in there and use something for the stop. If anyone has rebuilt the motor, if you could advise on what you did for the 2WD stop would be appreciated.

I tested the 12V on the "power" side of the harness and didn't seem to get anything.

Has anyone out there found a problem with the computer or a chip inside? I've seen some articles about replacing the IC for the 4X4 circuit.. ??

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Alan

Reply to
starfinder4457

Almost everyone who has had similar problems has either had the auto hubs go bad (and most replace them with manual hubs) or the motor needs to be taken apart and cleaned up. You mention the "stop" you found broken up in it. Most people replace the broken stop with a piece of fuel line (a small piece) that they stick around the stop posts. If you did not put a stop back in it's possible that the motor over ran to the metal post and the little finger switches in it are now out of position and the computer can't tell what to tell it to do. It's been pretty rare that anything else needs to be fixed. You could be the exception. I'd pull the motor again, make sure you put new rubber over the stop posts, and give it another try. If you haven't downloaded the tips from singleton's page you should do so. I don't know if it's been revised but if it still says to drain the Transfer case, you probably already know that's not necessary. YOu'll also notice that the thingy for the finger switches is adjustable, rotatable, perhaps you didn't get it back in the same position as it was in.

Reply to
AZGuy

Hi... Thanks for the info. If you are referring to this site,

yes, I downloaded all of it. I will pull the motor again. But what I'm not sure about is this "stop" and where I would put the piece of fuel line. I do know that when the button is pushed, I can't hear the motor even engage, but if I read your information correctly, the computer needs to detect the motor in a certain position in order for it to even work. So if the finger switches are sending the wrong signal, the motor wouldn't even start. This on top of the stop not being there.

Oh.. when I took apart the motor, inside there is a little triangle that's on the plastic sealed part. (Sorry, don't know how else to describe. Can you tell me if the "arrow" needs to be aligned with that for 2WD so when I mount it, it all lines up? Thanks again.. Alan

Reply to
starfinder4457