4x4 or 4x2???

Looking to buy a used 2002 Ford Explorer and it seems like there are quite a few available in my area (Central California) that are 4x4 instead of 4x2. I really won't be using the 4x4 feature but can get a good deal on one. It looks like it only gets about 1 less mile a gallon compared to a 4x2, so I'm wondering about a couple of things.

Is there any drawbacks to owning a 4x4 when I don't use it?

Anything else I should be aware of when owning a 4x4?

- Thanks

Reply to
Tom C.

John Shoemaker

He may need that 4x4 AND chains to make that run to Reno/Lake Tahoe in the winter over Donner Pass :-) But if you don't need it, then go for the 4x2. Here in Iowa, 90%+ are 4x4, even though 50% of the drivers probably won't have the feature enguaged but 1-3 times in the winter. For resale value, you may want to get what most people in your area are buying, unless you plan to keep it for over 4 years. wth

Reply to
wth

Cheaper insurance also.

Reply to