4x4 quit working

i have a 94 ford explorer, the 4x4 quit working, light does'nt come on. fuses are ok. also the cruise control quit working, fuse ok. any suggestions, thanks

-- Message posted using

information at

marlow

More information at

If the 4WD light does not come on this is usually caused by a stuck servo motor on the transfer case. Tapping it gently while someone is pushing the button often gets it going. Taking it apart and cleaning/lubricating it is the next step. In an emergency you can remove the servo motor and turn the transfer case by hand. Also, there is supposedly a reset button on the control module behind the rear drivers side panel but I've never had to push it or even look for it.

I don't know about the cruise control--mine still work on my '91 and '92.

Reply to
Ulysses

The only appropriate course of action is to take it to a Ford Dealer for repair. Anything else and you will be endangering yourself and everyone else on the road. And you should not drive it to the dealer but should have it towed since driving a vehicle with any of the systems malfunctioning endangers you and everyone else on the road.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

There was quite a detailed write up on transfer case motor problems hosted on a personal internet site... It covered many problems common to the early Explorers and featured some good DIY fixes.... I believe that this site no longer hosts those pages but somewhere, there may be a mirror or other site with that content on them. Perhaps someone may chime in with more info...

Sidebar - Ashton will have to notice that I call these "DIY" fixes... They are economical for an owner to perform himself... they are NOT economical for an owner to pay in excess of $100.hour to have fixed for him. There is no assurance that any of these repairs will be the be all - end all to a concern... if I perform one of these repairs and it fails during my warranty period, I will have to fix it properly... for free... and I wont expose myself to that liability. I think that Ashton is a little miffed that he can't afford me....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Look here:

The old Explorer stuff is at
. I no longer have an Explorer, and never had 4x4, so I can't provide help other than the pointer to the web pages.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

what the hell are you talking about. the vehicle isn't impaired, the 4 wheel drive just quit working, where did you come from. remember the good old days with rear wheel drive, well thats what it is now until i get it fixed.

-- Message posted using

information at

marlow

I know how you think. I knew if I gave your speech you'd be compelled to tell him to fix it himself. Thanks for staying true to form.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'm just proving a theory. See my reply to Warmen.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Apparently, you must have missed the heart of my suggestion... which was that there is a resource available that will show him how he can fix it himself. Mike was kind enough to supply the URL.

As for knowing how I think.... I don't think you so...

Now... isn't it time for some useful input from you?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ashton Crusher

Might be easy to misread that statement....

Still, your post seems to lack any real point.... or am I missing that too?

Reply to
Jim Warman

I don't quite get it either Jim but I think it was good natured, sorta like when I post "amsoil" or "bars-leaks" and 'ball peen hammer" buzz words to try and rile you up.

Reply to
Bob