4x4 relay location in an '02 Explorer (2023 Update)

Hi,

My mechanic diagnosed a P1824 fault code "4 wheen drive electric relay circuit fault" and ordered a new relay. The porblem is it arrived at about 3:00 on Friday (today) and the shop manual the mechanic has doesn't have a location for the relay.

Since I wanted to have a car this weekend I now have the explorer and the relay.

The relay is stamped "F57B-6912-BA". It has 10 pins, six on one row and two sets of two pins on the other. It appears to be an interior relay as it is not waterproof.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reply to
neergqj
4X4 module is located behind the cubbyhole....notice the code mentioned the circuit as well as the "relay".

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thank you for the quick reply.

I am only the lowly owner of the vehicle.

Where is the "cubbyhole"?

I did notice the code; it was written down on a piece of paper for me.

All I really want is to replace the relay without missing a chunk of the day's work dropping off and picking up a car at the shop.

If you can help, please be specific.

Reply to
neergqj

cubbyhole = glove compartment.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Almost forgot.... your code indicates a problem with a circuit, not a component. Replacing the component may or may not fix the problem.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thank you.

The decision to try the relay replacement was mine based upon the cost/benefit analysis of a relay versus the labor to diagnose the entire control circuit.

I will now look behind the 'cubbyhole'.

Reply to
neergqj

Update:

I looked behing the glove box. No joy. There is the heater blower and a big Bosch electronics module, but no relay. The one I have is about

2 inches wide, 1.5 inched tall and 1 inch deep. The box lists the realy as "F57Z-4N089-BA".

Any other thoughts?

Reply to
neergqj

I checked the wiring diagrams for 02 once again.... neither Job 1 or Job 2 diagrams show a 4X4 relay. Both show the control module as being behind the glove compartment.

Sorry I can't be any more help...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for the help, Jim.

I'm not sure what to do next. One suggestion was to remove the center console under the theory that the current switching device would be near the current using device to keep the wires short.

I hate going to the dealer.

The last time I did they tried to charge me for repairs until I asked "which part of the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty does this fall outside of?" The the guy "remembered" the year and mileage of the vehicle.

Reply to
neergqj

hi neergqj did you fixed your 4WD issue ? i have the same , please help

Reply to
Khaled