4X4 won't go into LO

Jim, or anyone that might know,

I have a '92 EB with an automatic trans and I can't get the stupid thing to go into Lo no matter how many times I push the button, check the fuses, tap the motor, or check connections. It don't even get a silly click. What am I not finding that I should? Help I can use, and lots of it.

Reply to
John Riggs

To be honest, I've never used low range in mine.... You can try the method used on the newer ones... neutral, not moving, foot on the brake. Hole the button in until the light comes on (should only take a couple of seconds).

HTH.

Reply to
Jim Warman

with or without the vehicle being in 4X4...as I have tried it both ways? I think I tried that with it being in neutral before and had a similar response of nothing. of course, I can try it some more. Another odd thing.....tapping the motor with a hammer seems to kick the fuel pump on for a couple of seconds.....every time. I thought that was a bit odd.

Reply to
John Riggs

I have a 1991 ford explorer, the four wheel didnt work so i tried everything Then i tryed a new push button switch, i just went to the junk yard and got one for 2 bucks or you can get one from a parts store for about 125 dollars, replaced the switch and the four high would work but no four low. I tested the switch and the lo was bad..i took the switch back and said it didnt work, got another one and put it in and it works perfect. If you cant find a explorer in a junk yard then look for a old ford ranger they have the same switch

Reply to
Just-stone

Thanks. I was thinking along the same line....I just hadn't gotten around to pulling it and testing it with a jumper to see if that would fix the problem. Most people have no need of the LO range, however, I do, and lack of use can result in an oxidized coating or corrosion, making it near impossible to make an electrical connection.

Reply to
John Riggs

Had the same problem with my 94. Here is a link I was sent you might want to check out.

GAB

Thanks. I had lost the link.

Reply to
John Riggs