5R55E Question ?

I've had tranny slipping and late shift issues going back a ways but yesterday was the grand finale. Here's what happened, I did a 45km highway trip to get a bangle for my wife at Costco ( It was the only Bangle left thus the journey). Truck drives fine all the way there, I park and come out half hour later, start the truck put it in drive nothing, second and first same. Only gear working is reverse, everything else is nothing whatsoever. I was suprised that the tranny can go from working to absolutely shot like that.

Maybe a computer issue? Bands? Any Ideas?

Reply to
Sid Daley

How many miles? It is possible to go from slightly (or even seemingly fully) working to nothing instantly. Once the right part inside lets go, your transmission won't go. I got right at 100K out of my '97 5R55E before I had it rebuilt. The 5K miles before, it started to slip pretty noticeably. I also started getting a bad clunk when coming to a stop as the transmission downshifted. Ended up getting it rebuilt at 100K even though it was still driving. I just didn't want to risk it completely quitting at an inopportune time. Had a trip scheduled in a couple of weeks to pull my 2500 lb. tent trailer up into the mountains for some camping and having my transmission go out on the way up would have truly sucked. My cousin and I were riding around in his '80 GMC Jimmy many years ago. We stopped for a red light. When we went to take off we heard a slight "bang" and it was like someone threw the truck into neutral. His transmission went with no warning at all. Ended up needing rebuilt.

Reply to
Alpine
160,000 km and it has been acting up for 10,000km or so. Looks like a part broke, the lesson here is that if something is failing it's best to deal with it before you get stranded.. LOL

Sid

Reply to
Sid Daley