60K Maintenance

I have a '94 explorer that all I've ever done maintenance wise are oil changes, lube and air filters. It now has 61,000 miles (I don't drive it much). Do I need to do some other maintenance such as fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, etc? It runs great and just passed California enhanced smog check easily. Thanks.

Reply to
Bob

You are certainly running on borrowed time with almost 12 year old belts and hoses. I'd change those.

If you just passed the emissions tests, I wouldn't worry about plugs and wires. The fuel filter will let you know when it starts going bad, and it's not likely to strand you the way a bad belt or hose would. Besides changing the fuel filter is a pain.

Check your owner's manual for more things Ford might suggest.

Reply to
dfwskier

You should have the transmission flushed and filter changed, and the transfer case fluid changed. I would also change the plugs (and possibly the wires if they're in bad shape).

Reply to
Roadie