700T HORNET ALARM FACTORY UP-GRADE?

was thinking about upgrading my factory "alarm". Does anyone haveany experience with this particular system? Do all the features workthe same after installation? I don't want to spend hundreds of dollarson something most people ignore in the 1st place, but then again onesold on eBay last week for $20 NIB. For $20 plus my time forinstallation sounds like a rather good idea. Anyone install onethemselves? opinions? One more thing, if I buy one off eBay it won'tcome with wiring diagrams for the explorer, correct? Or is it auniversal deal? Thanks for any input, Joe

Reply to
Joe G.

Joe, No it probally will not come with a wiring diagram for the Explorer.$20 is pretty good for one of those, but it makes me kinda wonder since thats almost a

3rd of the wholesale cost on that piece.There a great add on, we install about 40-50 per week. The only thing that i'm not crazy about is it doesn't come with a starter kill relay, so your gonna have to go out and get your own (about $2).

Any questions feel free to ask

Mark S Owner SoundsExtreme

Reply to
Mark S.

Mark, Thanks for your reply, I have a couple more questions. The Starter-Kill relay prevents the vehicle from being started if the alarm is activated, correct? I do recall the 97 model already having this feature, right? If I do require one, any recommendation on which one or where to buy? I'm also concerned it will be difficult to install without a wiring diagram, (I could check-out an Explorer repair manual from my library, do you think that will supply me with enough info?) Also I should mention I have no experience with the heaps of wiring in the Explorer. Any other hints/Advice? Thanks again, Joe

BTW, here's the link to that ebay auction. I will be lucky to find one this cheap again...

Joe G.

Joe, Ford's have a very ineffective starter kill, To bypass it a thief would have to just tap ground to the Green/Purple wire in the drivers kickpanel.(And yes most thiefs know about that wire), So wiring up a starter kill relay is a good idea.You can pick one up at Radio Shack,Pep Boys,ect... all you need is a 12 volt 30/40 Amp SPDT Relay.A ford manual would be of absolutly no use for installing an alarm.I'll send you a wiring diagram for your car BUT If you don't feel comfortable installing an alarm take it to your local Car Stereo Shop and have them install it, Anyway here is the wiring for your car

| ITEM | WIRE COLOR |POL| WIRE LOCATION | | 12V|yellow |+ |ignition harness | | STARTER|red/lt. blue |+ |ignition harness | | IGNITION|green/purple *1 |+ |ignition harness | | ACCESSORY|gray/yellow *1 |+ |ignition harness | | SECOND ACCESSORY|black/green |+ |ignition harness | | POWER LOCK|pink/yellow |- |driver's kick panel | | POWER UNLOCK|pink/green |- |driver's kick panel | | LOCK MOTOR|pink/black | |driver's kick panel | | UNLOCK MOTOR|red/orange | |driver's kick panel | | DISARM DEFEAT|pink/orange *2 | |driver's kick panel | | PARKING LIGHTS +|purple/white *3 | |driver's kick panel | | PARKING LIGHTS -|white/purple | |driver's kick panel | | HEADLIGHTS|red/yellow |+ |light switch | | DOOR TRIGGER|black/lt. blue *4 |+ |driver's kick panel | | DOME SUPERVISION|black/lt.blue |+ |driver's kick panel | | TRUNK/HATCH PIN|common with doors | | | | HOOD PIN|tan/lt.green |- |driver's kick panel | | FCTRY ALARM ARM|arms on lock *5 | | | |FCTRY ALRM DISARM|dk. green/purple |- |driver's kick panel | | TACHOMETER|tan/yellow | |PCM *6 | | SPEED SENSE|gray/black |8 |PCM *6 | | BRAKE WIRE|lt.green |+ |driver's kick, brake switch | | HORN TRIGGER|yellow/lt. green |- |steering column | | WIPERS|wht & dk.blu/org *7 |+ |wiper motor or relay | | LF WINDOW UP/DN|wht/blk - red |A |at motor in dr door | | RF WINDOW UP/DN|wht/yel - tan/lt.blu|A |sw dr door or dr kick | | LR WINDOW UP/DN|gry/org - yel/lt.blu|A |sw dr door or dr kick | | RR WINDOW UP/DN|yel/blk - red/blk |A |sw dr door or dr kick | | POWER ANTENNA|orange/lt blue |+ |power antenna module *8 |

Notes: NOTE: Some models of this vehicle are equipped with PATS (Passive Anti Theft System). Use DEI module 555F to over-ride during remote start. *1 Two wires each at switch, both are common, only need to power 1 each during remote start. *2 You may also use the pink/green power unlock wire. *3 Also found to be white/black at the rear of the switch. *4 To avoid the dome light delay and dome light time-out use the separate door triggers. In the drivers kick panel find yellow/black for the drivers door, lt. green/yellow for the drivers rear door, and white/purple for the rear hatch. In the passengers kick panel find gray/red for the passenger front door, and pink/lt. blue for the passengers rear door. All five wires are negative trigger and must be diode isolated together. *5 Arms on lock only with door open. It is necessary to send a signal to door trigger as well as lock to arm factory alarm. *6 The PCM is located at the top of the firewall towards the passenger side, the tan/yellow tach wire is also found at the back of the instrument cluster. *7 Also found yellow/white (-) at the firewall connector. *8 The power antenna module is in the right rear quarter panel.

Mark S Owner SoundsExtreme

Reply to
Mark S.