91 Explorer 4x4 Auto Trans leak

I have a leak that appears to be coming from one of the 2 round housings forward of the vacuum diaphram. These 2 housings are about 2

- 2 1/2 inches in diameter. They are behind the heat shield next to the cat converter. There's a slow drip while sitting and a pretty good stream when the engine is running. Anyone know what these housings are and why one may be dripping? It happened rather suddenly. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John G.

Reply to
getter54

Sounds like a servo cover leaking.... These are sealed with O-rings between the cover and the trans bore.... Behind these covers are pistons that apply the bands when commanded... Care must be taken when removing these covers since the pistons are spring loaded....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
getter54

I have a similar leak on my '92 and I've been unable to see where it is coming from but it's pretty much gushing out. Please keep us posted--it would be really great if I can fix mine without having to pull the transmission. So far I've removed the seats and the access panel and looked and looked with flashlights and mirrors.

Reply to
Ulysses

I had to pry the heat shield away from the transmission in order to see the leaking servo cover. I have some photocopies from an '89 mustang A4LD transmission manual that looks identical. It is not clear how the covers come off but I'm guessing there's an internal snap ring. The manual shows a retaining ring an then the o-ring, then the cover. This is spring loaded as Jim described. Next step for me (after waiting for suitable weather) is to drain the trans and see if I can get it apart. I'm confident this can be repaired without pulling the trans - unless there is a surprise when I start taking thisgs apart.

John G

Reply to
Old Mechanic

So far as I've been able to tell my leak seems to be coming from the torque converter housing so I'm suspecting a front seal leak. I have the Ford manual on CD and it shows how to trace the drips to determine where the leak is coming from but it was of no help to me.

I read somewhere that a clogged vent tube can cause leaks from the seals but as far as I can tell it's not clogged.

Reply to
Ulysses

i had the same problem on my ?93 aerostar with a A4LD- the front (overdrive) servo cover was leaking about 3 drops a second, only when the engine was running. i fixed it with a "shortcut"- i cleaned it up real well, with a wire brush, and some spray solvent/degreaser, a covered the entire perimeter of the cover with a good bead of jb weld. i know that this would make any subsequent repair a bit more difficult, but this isn?t a vehicle i?m gonna put any money into- i?ll be replacing it soon, anyways, it?s had a few too many hard miles on the whole thing

"getter54" wrote

Reply to
scottf

Replacing the O-Ring would have been easy if the cat converter was out of the way. I don't think I could have done the cleaning and application of JB-Weld - I had to make some serious modifications to an old pair of snap ring pliers to get it in there to remove the snap ring. The snap ring has notches instead of holes so the pliers slip out easily. I will probably junk my '91 EB but if by some chance I keep it l hope I don't have to replace the seal on the other housing. I did stop a coolant leak on the front of the intake manifold the same way you fixed your OD servo housing except I used Marine tex epoxy instead of JB weld. Something always seems to be in the way every time I work on my explorer. The cat converter is crowding the servo housing, the front differential was in the way when I did the seals in the steering gear. Forget about changing the valve cover gasket - especially on the passenger side. The front drive shaft is in the way where the rear brake line goes into the porportioning valve. Even the oil filter and the oxygen sensor are a pain in the ass to change. Bring back the '65 Chevy - we didn't know how good we had it!

JG

Reply to
Old Mechanic