91 Explorer: battery dying question re: "Brain"

I posted about this sometime ago, and got good advice that unfortunately didn't solve the problem.

From time to time, my 1991 Explorer's battery will be dead. I don't drive it a lot (still have

Reply to
Andrew Webber

Andrew.... since the nature of your concern is so intermittent (and these are the ones we dearly love.... not) I might suggest replacing the EEC relay and fuel pump relay. It is not unknown for these to stick occasionally and they are only a few dollars (much less than the batterybrain). Other areas to watch are some of the "hidden" lights - vanity mirrors, cubbyhole, underhood....

Fords current spec for parasitic draw is 50 milli-amps (.050 amp). If you decide to go with the battery brain, the worst that can happen is that you'll lose your radio station presets and the PCMs adaptive strategy - since these all happen when the battery dies anyway, I can't see that being a big deal.

Jim Warman

Something I've noticed in my 92 is that the keylock stuff in the steering wheel has gotten pretty loose and worn and I can turn off the vehicle and remove the key and the warning buzzer sounds when I open the door because it's not really all the way to the off position. I've not had a battery go dead but that could be because I've always heard the buzzer and turn the key farther off. One more thing to check.

Reply to
AZGuy