91 Explorer, Electrical Problem

My 91 with 126 K miles has a problem with the elctrical system. Volt meter on the dash wanders on the high side. I have put a voltmeter across the batter with the engine running and read 14.5 to 15.5 with a steady frequency. Checked the alt at Autozone on and off the car and its okay, replaced the voltage regulator just to be sure and it still wanders. Any ideas? Thanks, Paul.

Reply to
Paul

What does your battery read without the engine running?

Reply to
John Riggs

Field and stream.

Usually about 12.5 to 12.8 volts.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'm going to suggest you clean both battery terminals well for starters. Then follow your negative cable to where it grounds, and remove and clean the cable ground. Next, find and clean both ends of your engine ground strap (you usually find it on the back of the engine connecting to the firewall).

Since you removed the alternator, I assume the battery connector on the alternator is clean and tight as well as the other connections.

Not sure that will fix it, but it eliminates this as a cause, and is simple to do.

If that doesn't fix it, post back and tell us how fast it cycles the voltage up and down, and whether that cycle stays constant as you rev the engine.

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com