'91 Explorer electrical problem

Hi guys. It seems as though I have an electrical problem which causes my hazard lights to flash out of control, and my car is not able to start while this is going on. Ever since I installed my amp and subwoofer, it seems like I've been having electrical problems (brake lights going out, starter dying, and now this..) Well I disconnected my amp and subwoofer and pulled them both out to see if that was causing the problem, but it wasn't. I'll leave them disconnected anyway, at least until I can buy a power capacitor to provide enough electricity. I have no idea what could be causing this problem. It happened about a year ago, but it randomly stopped and I figured I was ok. Well as soon as I disconnected the wires from the starter relay (fixed my starter yesterday) it started doing it again. Now as soon as there is ANY form of power to the car (turn keys, open a door, etc) the hazards start going crazy and the car will not even attempt to start. Is there a short somewhere? How could I go about finding the location of the problem? And have any of you ever seen a similar electrical problem? Thanks for any and all support, and have a great day.

Nick

Reply to
bigchz

Will disconnecting the battery (neg) for about

5 mins, then reconnecting it at least alleviate it?
Reply to
Zilla

What it sounds like to me is that it has an alarm system on it but the siren is either gone or not working. Everything you describe is what happens if I forget to turn off my alarm system and open the door. It's also exactly what happens when I disconnect the battery and then reconnect it. As soon as I reconnect it the alarm goes off, the parking lights flash. The reason yours doesn't start when this is happening would be because the alarm has a cutout relay to prevent the starter from getting power when the alarm is going off. Most aftermarket alarms are installed under the dash near the fuse block and have a bunch of small but colorfully wires going to a multi-pin connector that plugs into a plastic box about half an inch thick and maybe 3 to 4 inches square.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ashton.. I wish I would have read your post before I gave up trying to fix it and took it to the shop. That's exactly what the problem was. And I was charged 120 bucks for it. Thanks for the support.

Reply to
bigchz