91 Explorer Fuel Indicator

My 91 Ford Explorer fuel indicator reads empty all the time.

The guy in the parts store said it probably has a hole in it and it got filled up with gas so it sits low in the tank.

Anyone ever change that float?

Mike

Reply to
mike

I've not changed the float, but I've changed the fuel pump assembly, which includes the float and the gage sender. Ford sells it as one unit for about $175.

It's not a bad job and you probably don't even need a manual. Just make sure the tank's almost empty because you have to drop the tank (which involves disconnecting a bunch of stuff).

Took me about 2 to 3 hours total. My Explorer is a 1993 4x4 Sport, so I had more bolts to remove (skidplate, etc.).

Reply to
Tommy Wood

I forgot to mention that you will need the special fuel line removal tools. If you try to force the fuel line apart, it will damage the line and you'll wind up spending a lot of money replacing the fuel line. This is pretty standard warning for all Fords with fuel injection. (ie since 1987).

Reply to
Tommy Wood