91 explorer no start, power loss???

Hi,

I have a strange issue. I've asked around home and nobody knows what to do.

I have a 91 explorer xtl 4 l. w/about 100k miles on it. It was starting fine til I went to leave for work one morning. I tried starting it, heard one click form the starter then lost power from the battery. I tapped on the starter thinking it may be stick, didn't help. I checked the terminal connections, power came back so I tried again, the problem came back, one click then lost power. I tried another battery, got several clicks from the starter but that was all, I didn't loose power. I figured I had a weak battery and bad starter. Replaced the started, put in original battery and tried starting the vehicle again..... one click and power loss... argh. I put jumper cables on the Explorer just incase the battery was the issue but no resolution.

Help?

Thanks Allan

Reply to
A n A

You already know you have a dead battery. With a good battery, if all cables and connections are solid (including the battery negative to engine block strap), the part that remains is the starter relay. You should have checked that before replacing the starter. Not sure where the relay is in your vehicle - it will have two thick cables attached; one going to the starter, the other to B+.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Many people have reported that over time the battery cables corrode on the inside and cause this kind of problem. They often still look great on the outside but the inside is gone near the terminal end.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I agree. That would be one of the first things I'd look at.

I think the starter relay is on the fenderwall on the passenger side not far from the battery. You can test it by bypassing it.

If you remove the starter you can test it and the battery by using your jumper cables. If it doesn't spin then either the starter or battery is bad (or the jumper cables ;-).

Reply to
Ulysses