'91 Explorer XLT Stalling Out

The past 2 years that I have had my Explorer I have noticed that in the summer it is stalling out. Well yesterday things got really bad with it, In order to keep it running I have to leave my foot on the gas and place it in neutral sometimes.

I checked my vacuum lines and found 1 line that was torn up from wear and tear, and was promptly fixed. Unfortunately that did not solve the problem as I had hoped.

I am hearing a loud hissing noise as if there is a vacuum leak but I cannot find it, as all the lines that are visible are in good condition. Are there any lines that are hidden that are accessible if you know where they are at?

How hard is it to change out the spark plugs w/o having to tear off half of the engine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

~Dan

Reply to
Dan J

Dan, I just had a similar problem on my '92. It didn't stall but idled rough. First make sure that on the little manifold that is at the left rear of the engine that all the ports have either a vacuum line attached or a cap to seal off a port that is not being used. If all that is OK pull out the thicker vacuum line that goes to the power brake booster. That is the round can that is mounted on the firewall.. Pull that big hose out of the booster and close of the end with your hand. See if that makes a difference. What happened to me was that the grommet on the booster had deteriorated and leaked. Replacement can be got at local parts store.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Good suggestion, I will check it out. The other thing that I noticed was that there was what looked like a cap to a vacuum line on the ground, I put it to the side as I still cannot find where it came from, as it probably tumbled off somewhere.

Reply to
Dan J

I found that the easiest way was to remove the passenger side inner fender (plastic) to get to the rear plug. All the rest are relatively easy.

John Normile

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:15:11 -0700, Dan J wrote: (Snip)

Reply to
John Normile

Reply to
Phil

Reply to
Dan J

Rear Plug on the Left side? Do you have an approximate location or a par t that I could reference?

Reply to
Dan J

Dan In your post you asked about possible problems changing spark plugs. My reply was in refreence to this question. John

Reply to
John Normile

When you did this, did you have A/C?

Reply to