92 EB -Cruise Control Quandry

Guys, I am trying to figure out why my CC isn't working. The fuses are all good, the controls on the steering wheel check, power, everything. Still, it won't work. Ironically, the only thing that I did was leave it parked for 2 weeks while I was in Regina for a horse show, and when I got back, the CC refuses to work. How odd is that? Any ideas? Jim, anybody? I really rely on my CC...it keeps my lead foot in check and keeps the tickets to a minimum, even in town. I can't imagine a drive of any distance without it ( yes, I remember the good old days of 3,00 mile trips with no CC ).

Ideas?

Reply to
John Riggs

Does your horn work? Not sure on the explorer, but on my old (96) E150, the CC went through the horn relay. Had some work done on the vehicle and they left it unclipped from its mounting location and upside down.... it filled with water from somewhere and shorted out, causing CC to not work. Replaced the relay and it worked just fine. The local NAPA did not carry the relay, had to go to ford to get it, but it only cost about 10.00.

YMMV

-- Gerry

01 Sporttrac

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

Here's the list from the 92 electrical/vacuum service guide

Vacuum leak Check vacuum hoses Blown fuse Check 15 Amp fuse 11 on interior fuse panel Inoperative Stoplamp switch check switch Inop clutch triple function switch check switch Faulty ground Check continuity to ground in black wire at speed control amplifier Inop speed control amplifier Check speed control amplifier Inop speed control switch Use ohmmeter to check switch Depress OFF 0-1 ohm. Depress SET/ACCEL 646-714 ohms. Depress Coast 114-126 ohms. Depress RESUME 2090-2310 ohms

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I thought of that first. Yup, it works fine, so I had checked the controls with a meter and they checked out.

| > Ideas? | >

| |

Reply to
John Riggs

Checked hoses, fuses, can recheck stop lamp switch I replaced a few months back, checked the resistance of the controls. I guess I will have to find this black wire you speak of, and the amplifier.

114-126 | ohms. Depress RESUME 2090-2310 ohms | | Charlie | | | |
Reply to
John Riggs

My sisters 94 CC didn?t work, but I had the option of trying the amplifier out of my 92. It worked!! After putting my amp back in, a quick trip to the junkyard and 20 dollars later I had another amp and her CC was working again. The amp is found by removing the glove box. (squeeze the sides together and it will rotate out). Look up inside the hole and you?ll see a green box held by a couple of screws through a bracket. That?s the amp.

Reply to
sjwoody