92 Explorer 4X4 Problem - Help?

I have one or more problems with my 4X4. I jacked up the entire vehicle to try to determine where the problem is. I have the eletronic dash switch. When I turned on 4H, the transfer case engaged, rather noisily. The driveshaft started turning, then stopped. The noise I heard from the transfer case also stopped. By the way, I also tried to engage the 4L, and could not even get the dash light to come on.

When the drive shaft was turning, one of front axles was turning, but not the other. (I don't know much about the front differential to know whether this is an open differential, or not). Anyhow, the auto hubs did not engage. We looked at the hubs, and both had grease and did not have any obvious problems. I'm confident I can change out the auto hubs with manual hubs, if one problem is there. I'd like to do the work on the transfer case, if it is not too complicated.

What is/are possible causes of the problem with the transfer case? Would this affect how the hubs engage? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Reply to
Robert67

Well, since nobody else responded I'll give you my 2 cents ;)

First off you seem to think you have a problem with your autohubs but you also suspect the transfer case. I'm at a loss how you can know if the autohubs are failing if the transfer case is not engaged. The only thing that comes to my mind (other than serious problems inside the transfer case or front differential) is that your servo motor is stuck and not turning the transfer case far enough. I suggest (if you haven't already done it) pushing the 4X4 button and removing the servo motor and seeing if it has moved to the 4H position. I explained how I fixed my motor(s) on the next post ('91 4x4 shift motor install).

Sooner or later you will probably have to replace the autohubs. I put the Warn manual hubs on my '91 (not hard to do) and may be putting them on my '92 soon. So far I have not read about anyone's Warn manual hubs failing.

Reply to
Ulysses

Ulysses,

Thanks for the response. I am concerned about the autohubs because I am able to get the front drive shaft to turn for a little bit, then it stops. The hubs do not engage during this time.

I basically tried what you suggested the other day. I took off the shift motor and took it apart, following the procedure on one of the strings I downloaded from one of the web sites. The motor was in great shape. I tested it when it was unbolted from the T-Case, and it turns to 4H.

I suspect the problem is in the T-Case.

Reply to
Robert67

Errrrmmm.... the premise of the auto hubs is that (once the transfer case is engaged in 4WD) if the axle shaft is turning faster than the wheel, the hub should engage. You say you can get the front driveshaft to turn for a "little bit" but the hubs don't engage. It would be interesting to know just what is limiting the movement to a "little bit".

Other than the noise you alluded to (which I would expect with the way you were checking things), do you have an identifiab;e, repeatable concern with

4X4 operation? If you look under enough rocks, you will find a bug.
Reply to
Jim Warman

So, what you are saying is the axle has to turn in order to lock the hubs and the hubs won't lock if the truck is jacked up and you turn the wheel? As I mentioned in another post I don't even know how the things are supposed to engage/lock on the axle. On my '91 4x4 definately did not work and I surmised it was the auto hubs. I installed the Warn manuals and 4x4 works great. I'm in the process of trying to understand why the auto hubs are not locking on my '92 (currently on jacks and Warn hubs on order). I just can't see anything wrong with them. I can't see how I could possibly turn the axle with 4x4 engaged with only the front end off the ground. Is there a simple way to test them without lifting the entire truck off the ground? I've tried spinning the tires briefly and only the rear ones are kicking up dirt. This is, of course, all acedemic at this point unless it rains before my new Warn hubs get here :-|

Reply to
Ulysses

As I mentioned in another post....

I drove the truck in 4WD and jacked up one side and the hub was securely locked onto the axle. I jacked up the other side and it was trying to catch but not quite making it. I read somewhere that too much grease can cause hubs to not lock. Is that a possibility with the Ford auto hubs? They look well greased inside but not any thick globs or anything. Just for the record I suspected the driver side hub to be bad and it was making a "clunk" sound while turning in 4WD. I switched the hubs before checking them as described and the one I thought was bad turned out to be bad. It still clunks though. I'm hoping that the clunking is being caused by the hub not engaging properly, but then I probably shouldn't hope for too much.

I don't understand why they lock with the axle turning but not by turning the wheel. Can anyone explain how these things work? You mentioned that the axle needs to be turning faster than the wheel but that doesn't seem to register in my limited brain.

Reply to
Ulysses

My concern with the 4X4 operation is a combination of the noise I previously described, and the fact that I got virtually stuck at a few icy uphill intersections, while I had 4H on. I live in Anchorage, so ice and snow is an issue for half of the year.

When we tested it (all 4 wheels jacked up), the front drive shaft was turning for a short time (approximately 30 seconds), then it stopped (the noise stopped at the same time).

Thanks for the thoughts.

Reply to
Robert67