92 Explorer Front End noise

I have recently acquired a 92 Explorer 4x4. It has already been converted to manual hubs on the front - which seems to be the way to go from what I have read here. Here is my issue:

When the front hubs are locked, I hear a lot of drive train noise. I know that everything is now turning in the front end, but it seems awfully noisy to me. What should I be greasing up there on a regular basis? Should I use a grease needle and grease the CV joints? Front transfer case? I have the Haynes manual, but it sure doesen't give me much detail on lubricating front moving parts.

Any pointers on maintaining the 4x4 component of this truck wuld be appreciated.

Eric

Is this noise when it is or when it is not in 4x4 mode??

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I think I'd start with checking the front differential fluid level. Next the transfer case fluid level.

Reply to
Ulysses

both.. The hubs have to be locked, but it doesn't matter if the button on the dash is pushed or not.