92 Ford Explorer Clutch Problem in Cold Weather

Clutch doesn't seem to work in cold weather only until car warms up or sometimes I can add a little fluid to the resevoir and w/start working. Problem doesn't occur at all in warm weather (say, above freezing). Slave cyl. has been replaced within last 3 yrs., master was replaced last yr. to try and fix the problem. Anyone with any ideas, a similar problem, or can pinpoint the problem before I spend big bucks?

Reply to
sfstrickland

When you say "doesn't seem to work" do you mean the pedal goes to the floor with little effort, or does the pedal feel normal but the transmission grinds when you try to shift?

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

My son, who drives it says that the pedal goes to floor easy and feels like no pressure is on it and the transmission does grind when trying to put it in gear.

Reply to
sfstrickland

"Clutch doesn't seem to work" is a pretty broad statement..... A brief description of what is actually happening might go a long way to helping.

If adding fluid to the reservoir helps, I can only assume that there is a leak somewhere.... we can only add fluid so many times before the system is overfull - this IS brake fluid we are adding, right?

These systems are amazingly simple.... I cannot reconcile "trying" a part during the repair process....

Reply to
Jim Warman

If we add a little fluid, it is only a very small amouont. There are no visible signs of a leak and the only time the resevoir gets low at all is in the winter when it is cold. No problem whatsoever when weather is warm. If there was a small leak, seem like it would leak all year around. The only answer poeple can give me is that there is moisture in the system somewhere. However, system has been bled to try and solve the problem.

Reply to
sfstrickland

The clutch is different from brakes, as the clutch disk wears and gets thinner, the fingers on the clutch plate move the slave cylinder back. So the master cylinder doesn't get lower as it wears, it actually gets higher as fluid is gradually pushed back into it. This is mentioned in the owner's manual.

So if you are adding brake fluid, you must have some sort of leak. All there is is the master cylinder and slave, and the connecting hose. That's it. It has to be one of those.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Thanks for the help. I understand the system and the possible leak. However, I would like to know why why it doesn't give problem when temperature is above freezing nor do we ever need to add fluid. Thanks.

Reply to
sfstrickland