92 FORD EXPLORER HYDROPLANE PROBLEM AT 45 MPH OR MORE..

I ENJOY MY FORD EXPLORER AS ANY OTHER FORD EXPLORER OWNER WOULD TELL YOU. MY ISSUE IS, WHEN IT RAINS, AND I GO PAST 45 MPH, FOR SOME ODD REASON, THE TRUCK BEGINS TO HYDROPLANE.

TO MAKE SURE, I ASKED A FELLOW 92 FORD EXPLORER OWNER, AND HE AGREES TO HAVE THE SAME HYDROPLANE ISSUE AT AROUND 45 MPH OR MORE.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM, AND IF SO, HAVE YOU FOUND A SOLUTION?

I HAVE REPLACED THE SHOCKS AND ALSO HAD THE FACTORY TIRES CHECKED FOR INTEGRITY. ALL UP TO PAR.

PLEASE HELP !!!

Reply to
rathius

Michael MacMahon

He means turn off your CAPS, online its the equivilant of yelling. Now, to your question: What brand,size and age are your tires? What brand and age are your shocks?

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Shocks just aren't going to have a bearing on hydroplaning... however, tire pressure, tread design and tread depth have a lot to do. I prefer a M/S type of tread. The depth should be no less than 3/32 and for some conditions, that may not be enough. Additionally, I prefer to run my tires a litle hard... 35 psi front and back.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Big Shoe

Factory tires on a 92 means he should put on a helmet and install a roll bar :O)

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

Have you front end alignment checked. Bad toe-in or toe-out can cause bad hydroplaning.

Reply to
Carlton Duke

I would think that tire wear would become an issue long before any other concern...

Reply to
Jim Warman

To me, factory tires indicated "factory size" tires. Anyone cruising around on 14 year old tires are shaking the dice way too hard. Ground level ozone, ultraviolet light, airborne contaminants (and the likelihood that a 13 year old Ex is going to have enough miles on it to make the original tires rather smooth) all exact their toll on rubber products (belts and hoses to a lesser exent but stll applicable).

Some of you will get a chuckle... it's -30C and guess whose T-stat went south 8^(...

Reply to
Jim Warman

TRY TO DRIVE AROUND THOSE BIG PUDDLES....NOT THROUGH THEM....... 8^P

Reply to
gordo

Im really sory about the Caps before, and yes, I realize that It is considered yelling. I was on an old laptop when I posted that message, and it didnt occur to me to explain the caps at the moment.

Sincere apologies.

Searcher wrote:

AGREES TO

Reply to