93 Blower motor stopped working / resistor ?

I have a 93 Ford Explorer 2 door sport where the blower motor just stopped working. It does not come on at all. Before it stopped working there was never any grinding or noise comining from the fan. I have replaced the relay and the fuse and still nothing. I can push in the fan switch and the A/C comes on, just no air blowing.

I have read where there is also a blower motor resistor. Where is this located and what does it look like ? I am trying to whittle down the possibilities before I change the blower motor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
jbalz

In my 93 (4 door, not 2 door, but I'd expect the engine compartment to be similar, if not identical) the resistor pack is located near the blower motor.

Mine is attached to something (not sure what it is, but I suspect a vent) on the right (passenger) side of the firewall. It's attached to a protrusion (sorry, no better term) to the left of the blower motor, and is about 1" - 1.5" wide.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

On the '91 and '92 (probably the same for '93) if you are standing in front of the car it is located in the AC housing just to the right of the blower motor. It has a connector with 4 wires. There are two screws holding it on. It's a LOT easier to get to if you remove the air cleaner housing first.

The resistor is actually 3 resistors (I think--it's been a while) and a diode. If the doide burned out you would probably still have high speed on your fan. If the resistors burned out you should be able to see the problem because they are coils of wire.

If you've checked everything else and can verify that you have power to the fan motor then one more possibility is mice. I had one build a nest inside the squirrel cage of my fan. Still don't know how they get in there. It's also a lot easier to get the blower assembly out if you remove the air filter housing. Probably necessary too.

BTW I found a good blower motor assembly on eBay for $5 plus shipping. I've seen fan resistors on eBay too.

I am trying to whittle down the

Reply to
Ulysses

Reply to
lovs2fly

What looks like a diode in these assemblies is a thermal cutout. Its purpose is to disconnect the motor, protecting from fire if the rotor stalls. Sometimes they just fail for no good reason. Use an ohmeter to check it. The cold resistance should be very low - less than 1 Ohm. If it reads high resistance, replace the entire resistor assembly -- even if you could find a replacement, it's not worth the hassle. While at it, turn the blower by hand and make sure it rotates freely.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Thanks everyone for their help. I did some basic diagnostics and found that I was getting power to the fan motor. I changed out the fan motor and it solved the problem. Took me about 45 minutes and most of that was removing the filter box. $ 41 dollars from the auto parts store and the air is blowing again.

The help on this forum rocks. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute as readily as everyone here has.

I bought this baby new and it now has 241,000 on the motor and still running strong. A little TLC, regular maintenance and a transmission ( imagine that ), and I am ahead of the game.

Thanks again.

Reply to
jbalz

Hmmm. I think I'll replace my diode with a thermal cutout. Thanks for straightening me out. I couldn't figure out why it had a diode in there anyway...

Reply to
Ulysses