'93 Explorer Knock Sensor ?

My '93 Explorer Sport is pinging like crazy . With the AC on and regular gas it pings allot , not just on hard acceleration but even at mild acceleration. When I use a fuel injector cleaner and a tank of premium it improves dramatically . But I would rather not have to use premium gas and get it fixed right . My mechanic asked me if it was running hot which it is not and the coolant level is at the top . He said there is no EGR valve and the timing can not be adjusted manually . He said cleaning the fuel injector body wouldn't do anything . He said he was going to call Ford and find out if there is something called a knock sensor . He's not instilling confidence in me as I feel he doesn't seem too knowledgeable so I thought rather than bringing to a different mechanic I would try here 1st . Any , and I mean ANY help or input is appreciated . I am original owner and have kept it very well maintained but this is driving me nuts . Thanx ahead of time for any help. If I'm leaving out any important details please ask and I will repost any additional info. thanx much Ron

Reply to
Ron N.Y