93 Explorer radiator

The radiator is leaking at the top seam. Would it be better to have it welded or replace it? I was told there are two different radiators for this car. It is an automatic and has AC. It has 100,000 miles on it. I will be doing the job in the driveway. Any help will be appreciated.

Reply to
news.bellatlantic.net

I just replaced the radiator on my 96 V8 with 113miles on it. I thought it would be a pretty simple procedure. Drain the radiator, disconnect (and replace) the upper and lower radiator hoses, disconnect the transmission lines, and unbolt the radiator. Well Ford had a screwed up way of mounting the air conditioning condenser to the front of the radiator. It was a bitch getting it off and getting everything lined up to get the radiator back on. It was a two man job. The radiator was made in China and was obtained at Auto Zone for $219 with a lifetime warranty.

Reply to
To Arms!!

"To Arms!!" wrotenews:426311ca$1_1@127.0.0.1:

I Replaced the radiator on my 93 and bought it online and had it delivered to my door for $149. Paid a shadetree $75 to put it in.

It can be welded usually, if it's not plastic and stuff there, but it will problably cost more to do so and have an old welded failing radiator than just putting in a new one.

Another typical Ford failure, radiators that only last 10 years.

Reply to
LtFuzz

How long should they last and how much are you willing to pay for the added lifespan???

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for the help. I'll probably go with the new unit. hope to get another 3 or 4 years out of the car.

Reply to
news.bellatlantic.net