93 Explorer running sluggest

My 93 Explorer is running sluggest. It runs like it is not getting enough gas, when I'm on the road the rpm will first go up to about 2 1/2 to 3 then it drops making it feels like it's barely pulling

It started after I had the fuel pump replace. A week later I change the inline filter. Help anybod

-- mindbender00

View this thread:

Send from

mindbender00

gas, when I'm on the road the rpm will first go up to about 2 1/2 to 3 then it drops making it feels like it's barely pulling.

inline filter. Help anybody

Check the fuel pressure. Off the top of my head I think it should be between about 32 and 40. Harbor Freight sells gauges for about $13.

Brakes getting stuck? Check and relube the front calipers and check the rear shoes.

Transmission slipping? Check the fluid level when the car has been driven several miles and is on level ground. Many of these transmissions fail around 175-200K miles.

Air cleaner dirty?

Bad spark plugs and wires?

Leaking head gaskets? Losing coolant? White smoke on startup?

All of the above? How well maintained is it?

Reply to
Ulysses

I forgot to include: clean the sensors on the air intake including the MAF (mass air flow) and the throttle sensor. I've read of people cleaning them with spray contact cleaner and brake cleaner. I used throttle body cleaner.

Reply to
Ulysses

Thanks! I will try them all but my transmission has been rebuilt, and I keep my fluids check

-- mindbender00

View this thread:

Send from

mindbender00

Check for a vacuum leak. Their is a vacuum hose connected to a 4 way heater core valve coming out on the air filter side. Make sure you have good vacuum. This will cause a loss in performance and is prone to happening when working around old dried out vacuum lines. A vacuum gage is best if you have one. If not you can disconnect a line, if you have no change in road performance you likely have a leak. You can often get a random and hard to figure out Emission error code (check engine light) with this also.

Reply to
Bryon