93 Explorer.Won't stay running when put in gear...

I have a 93 explorer 4x4 with 4.0L engine. The vehicle will start up and idle just fine, but as soon as I move the gear shift lever the engine stops. When it stops, the engine shakes very roughly in the engine bay before it quits. The engine will restart immediately and idle fine once it is placed back in park or neutral.

Does anyone have any ideas about this problem and how can I fix it?

TIA

Reply to
brian ellis

Sounds like what happens when the lockup torque converter is locked up when it's not supposed to be. If that's the problem it might be fixable with a simple replacement of some solenoid in the tranny or you might have to have the TC replaced and possibly the whole tranny rebuilt.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

did you find out a solution to your problem,,I may be having the same problem and would like some help if you have any.

Reply to
seacruise2