93 ford a4ld

my 1993 ford explorer has a tranny problem? or i think it does any way. the problem is i am driving at a 45 - 55 mph speed and it goes out of gear into a neutral almost. i have to put the shifter into neutral gear before i put it back into drive. it does go back into drive and then slips out again along the drive, today i drove about a 6 - 7 mile range and it went out of gear 3 times. i have had 2 used transmissions put in and it still has the same exact proble. i dont think that it is a coinsadence that it does the same exact thing, so i dont think it is a transmission problem anymore, could someone answer this for me please. just picked the car up from the shop today, and it happened before i got it home. dont know what to do next. please if someone knows, HELP. thank you Curtis

Reply to
curtis_g

Actually it might be a coincidence. If you installed used transmissions it could be that they all have the same problem. These particular transmissions have a history of slipping and leaking vacuum modulators. They generally seem to last around 175,000 miles from what I've read. I have read of Explorers with hundreds of thousands of mile on them with no transmission problems. It could be that the Explorers found their way into the junk yard because the owner didn't want to pay $2000 or more for transmission repairs.

I suggest you check your trans fluid level after the truck has been driven for several miles. Check it on level ground with the engine running and check several times to make sure you aren't just getting fluid on the dipstick from the inside of the tube. Also check the vacuum line cluster on the intake manifold (should be on the top of the engine, right, near the back) and look for loose, swollen fittings and signs of transmission fluid in the vacuum lines. Trans fluid is red (or slightly brownish red when old). With any luck you might just have a bad vacuum modulator. Google for instructions on how to repair it as this and A4LD transmissions have been discussed many times so chances are you can find much more information by reading old posts.

Reply to
Ulysses

Is it 4WD? Could be the transfer case if it is.

Your shop should be dealing with it, if the new tranny didn't fix it then they need to diagnose the issue better...

Reply to
Al Williams

designed to provoke the players to deepen their have of the scheme by purchasing inexpensive further components. This efficient assistant is fast-growing in Asia, and we can judge to find an cardinal consequence 'lineage 2 adena '

theoccident - perhaps modify a great one. The arrangement for such Youcan overlook to the end and leave a greeting. Pinging is currently notallowed.

Reply to
wajiguqu0223