94 EB 4x4 drive shaft

Changing U-joint on Pass. side front 4x4 drive shaft. How does this side remove from diiferential? Drivers side just slides out easy, Pass side stays put. What holds the pass. side in? Thanks

Reply to
Paul

????? no ideas..........?????

Reply to
Paul

Hey there,

The passenger side axle is "held in" by the metal clamp on the boot that keeps water out. You have you just haul on the axle to get the splined part past the clamp. I would suggest holding the boot with one hand so you don't tear it. And if you think that's hard...try shoving the axle back into the boot! what a pain in the ass. However, I didn't know if I could find a replacement for the clamp (and didn't want to trust just zip-trying it), so I worked (and cursed) for a good 10 minutes and finally got the axle to pop back into the boot by twisting and pushing on the axle while holding the boot and twisting it slightly as well.

P.S. you may find that the axles won't shove back in due to the u-joint caps being slightly larger that the ones on the joint you replaced (and not fitting throug the hold in the spindle). A die grinder lightly rounding the edges of the caps will take care of that, or if you're on the ball, put the axles back in first if you've removed the spindles as well (that didn't occur to me until afterwards).

I replaced the entire front end myself (aside from having to take the spindles in to get the ball joints pressed), and although it was quite a lot of work, it was worth it (in $ and experience) in the end.

Good luck

Chris

Reply to
Chris