’94 Explorer - engine still dies when driving

I had posted in early May that the engine would die while I was driving. We got some great feedback (thanks so much) and immediately had the battery replaced and the cables checked (they were ok). The car is still doing it. The radio will stay on and power windows work, but the battery light comes on and power steering won?t work while the car cuts out. We are going to take it to a Ford Dealership to have it looked at rather than to our regular mechanic. Someone else suggested a fuel filter, which we will have them look at. Would anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!!

Reply to
redcat

I can't help per se, but I've also got a '94 Ford Explorer. Please post to this newsgroup when you find out what's going on with your vehicle. For myself, my explorer is fine driving and idling, but will die if I turn it off and then back on within a few minutes. If I leave it alone for, say, half an hour, it starts fine. I've replaced the battery, spark plug wires, sparkplugs, air filter and fuel filter. Still does it. Very frustrating.

Best of Luck, Erik

Reply to
Erik

"Erik" wrote: > redcat wrote: > > I had posted in early May that the engine would die while I > was > > driving. We got some great feedback (thanks so much) and > immediately > > had the battery replaced and the cables checked (they were > ok). The > > car is still doing it. The radio will stay on and power > windows work, > > but the battery light comes on and power steering won't work > while the > > car cuts out. We are going to take it to a Ford Dealership > to have it > > looked at rather than to our regular mechanic. Someone else > suggested > > a fuel filter, which we will have them look at. Would anyone > have any > > other ideas? > > Thanks!! > > > I can't help per se, but I've also got a '94 Ford Explorer. > Please > post to this newsgroup when you find out what's going on with > your > vehicle. For myself, my explorer is fine driving and idling, > but will > die if I turn it off and then back on within a few minutes. > If I leave > it alone for, say, half an hour, it starts fine. I've > replaced the > battery, spark plug wires, sparkplugs, air filter and fuel > filter. > Still does it. Very frustrating. > > Best of Luck, > Erik

We took it to a Ford Dealership last week for diagnostics. They could not get the engine to stall, but did get it to ?not start?. It was all in the relays. While we were concentrating on the Fuel Pump Relay, it turned out to be the two located above. They were corroded. They disassembled the fuse box and cleaned and adjusted the fuse relays (I?m quoting from their diagnostic sheet). It then retested ok. They worked on it for 4 hours (trying to figure it out), gave us a 12 month guarantee, and the whole thing only cost $75!!!! So far, it?s been running really well. Hope this helps, good luck!

Reply to
redcat