94 Explorer giving lean on both banks

I have a 94 Explorer with the V-6. Will not run at full throttle, sometimes will fall flat at hiway speed. New wires and plugs, TPS, O2 sensors. I was getting low voltage and lean on both banks. Changed both O2 sensors and now am getting lean on both banks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
jffclmn

My 94 had similar symptoms, and other problems with auto transmission shifting/lockup. It ended up to be no more than a badly fouled Mass Air Flow Sensor. I cleaned it and all problems went away. They don't recommend cleaning, but I have been CAREFULLY cleaning mine every year or so for 190K miles with only great results. Lots posted on that issue.

Reply to
Craig

Will give it a shot. Not getting any readings on the MAF sensor but I am getting at the end of my rope so I'll try it. Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
jffclmn

"jffclmn" wrotenews: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Easy to do, if you need pics and links. Carbon carb spray, a cue tip and a gentle wipe with kleenex and walla!

Reply to
Mapanari

Thanks that fixed it. All I went thorough and it was only a nickels worth of carb cleaner and some compressed air. Thanks for the help, Jeff

Reply to
jffclmn

Great. It's nice to know it worked out for you. By the way, I use a small artists brush and non residual cleaner like throttle body cleaner. Have a great weekend. Craig

Reply to
Craig

Can somebody give me some pic on how to do it please? Do and how I remove the sensor? Screws are weird. Please post on my e-mail, please remove the

*nospam*. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Regards

Marc

boumbo*nospam*@hotmail.com "Craig" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
The Punisher

The screws holding the MAF sensor are 'Tamper Proof' (also called 'Security') Torx. There is a pin in the center of the star-shaped socket, requiring a T20 bit with a center hole. You should be able to find a set of those for about $10 in many auto stores. In a pinch, you can grab the heads with locking pliers or cut a slot for a screwdriver through the center with a hacksaw, then and replace the screws with regular ones when you are done cleaning the sensor (they are metric, but I don't recall the size). Your MAF will no longer be 'secure', but there is probably no need to worry about voiding the warranty on a '94 model...

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Does it make any difference on the fuel economy?

"Happy Traveler" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
The Punisher