94 Explorer not starting consistently

94 Explorer is not starting all the time. Most of the time when I hit the switch it starts right up without any hesitation and runs smooth once started. Lately, it may or may not start. The motor turns over but sounds kinda like the old cars when they were out of timig a little. It may not start for 4 or 5 tries....then it will start. Again, it runs very smooth. Sometimes I've let it sit overnight before it would start again. Ive read some of the previous post and not sure if my problem is the same as some of the others. We've had it in 2 shops and they tell us they cannot diagnose the problem if it starts. Unfornuatley each time its been at the shop, it starts. Any ideas? Thanks
Reply to
Ronney

Do you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the ignition on? If not, it may be your fuel pump relay. Easy to check, it's in the relay box under the hood. Whack it good with a screwdriver handle or switch it with the blower relay also in the relay box(they're the same)and see if it starts.

Reply to
Bob

How old is your battery? Sometimes starting problems are an indication of a battery about to die. Most of the DIY auto parts stores will test your battery and charging system for free.

Reply to
Captian Coleman

Hey Bob, Thanks for the info. Changed out the fuel pump relay switch a week ago and it hasnt failed me yet. What is amazing to me is that it has been in

2 FORD DEALERHSIP shops and neither one suggested the solution. This website and the people that offer solutions are worth a million. Again, Thanks.
Reply to
Ronney