'94 Ford Explorer-Stops, won't Start again

Hi all,

I've got a 1994 Ford Explorer Sport (2-door, 6 cylinder engine). Within the past few months, it's begun to die on startup.

Symptoms: The engine can be heard firing up, but after the initial startup, there is a rumbling sound and shaking, and then the engine dies. It will continue to do this unless I leave it alone for anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes (possibly more-not sure. I never timed it). Then it will start normally, and I can drive off. It never happens while driving or idling. It also doesn't happen in the morning when I go to work, or after work to go home. Presumable because of the extensive time in between. It only happens when I shut the engine off and then return to within a few minutes. In recent months the car can be counted on to do this fairly regularly with the exception of a span of time ranging from this weekend to today due to some replacements I've made. Today was an uncomfortable surprise, and one I'd like to end.

What I did (so far): A few weeks ago, I replaced the fuel filter (or actually, had it replaced by a local shop; the filter wouldn't come off manually, and I didn't want to damage anything trying to force it.) A week or so prior I replaced the air filter. This weekend I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and the battery. I had thought the battery the culprit because it was old and, prior to this weekend, the last time I was having trouble was when the engine wouldn't start at all. So I thought it was the battery and replaced it. Apparently I was wrong.

I don't know what else to check. I'm no car guru, and I was told it was either fuel congestion, electrical problems, or both. What I'm looking for is information on what needs repair, and if I can do it on my own without going to a shop.

Thank you for your help! Erik

Reply to
Erik