94 idle speed adjust ?

I think I got the Idle Air Control valve problem solved but it seems the idle speed is too low, right at 500 rpm. What is the idle speed supposed to be and where is the screw to increase it. I've looked aronmd but can't see anything obvious. Any tips appreciated. tnx

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Don't know anything about the original problem which started this thread, but I am afraid that you are missing something. The idle speed of virtually every fuel injected engine is set and maintained by the PCM (computer). That's what the IAC is for. There is no way to change the idle speed setting except by re-programming the PCM (and there should be no reason to do so). If the idle speed does not follow the computer-calculated setpoint, a trouble code will usually be set. BTW: Take a look at the VECI sticker under the hood. The fact that idle speed is computer-controlled and not adjustable should be clearly stated there.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

About 650 -700

There's no screw, thats why you have a IAC valve.

So maybe you don't have your IAC problem solved :-)

Reply to
johanb

Even if you cleaned the IAC valve, it could still give you idle problems. Might be time for a new one.

Reply to
Mikepier

thanks for all the help.. No wonder I couldn't find an idle adjust, I'm too old and never worked on these newer critters that are fuel injected and computer controlled.. I'll be be looking for a good deal on a IAC or try to find a good used one at pullit parts. O'Reillys tell me that it is a Ford ony product, that they can order.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

I wouldn't bother buying a used one as you won't know how long it will last. You can buy a brand new one at autozone for $59.99.

Reply to
Steve Sigman