'94 serpintine belt for A/C compressor bypass

Hello I would like to install a serpentine belt that bypasses my A/C compressor before it locks up. I understand that it may be possible to simply install a shorter belt and I wonder what size belt I could use. Any insight would be appreciated Thanx Alex

Reply to
alex

wrap a string around it and measure the string.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

Unless the compressor is about to go "out" and you don't want to get it fixed at this time, Don't try to bypass it! The compressor cycles periodically ( even in cold wx.) to keep it lubricated and needs to run as installed.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Hall

Can you tell me more about AC compressor problems on explorers?

I just found a problem with my 99 Explorer, and came rushing to this group for help. This thread caught my attention.

Basically, today I noticed a strong clicking coming from under the hood when I turned on my car and it was still parked with the AC on. I popped the hood and found that the pulley connected to the AC was alternating regularly between spinning and not spinning. If I turned off the AC, the pulley stopped spinning completely, of course with the belt still going over it.

To tell you the truth, I don't know much about cars, much less the specifics of AC units, and I don't remember what exactly that pulley was doing before, but this just doesn't seem right. The serpentine belt going over a locked pulley just can't be good for the belt, can it?

I'm about to go on a ~9 hour drive through the desert too, so I'm going to want to take this to get fixed ASAP, but any info you could give me would be awesome. It would be great not to seem like a moron when I go up to a mechanic.

Thanks

Reply to
Usenet user

Your compressor is cycling on and off. A certain amount of this is normal. If it seems like the cycles are too short, have it checked out by a qualified shop. There is a long list of possible problems. The click you hear is the clutch on the compressor engaging and disengaging. It is normal for it not to be "spinning" when your climate control is switched off. If the pulley was truly "locked", I'm sure the sound would be horrendous and the belt wouldn't last too long.

Reply to
Captain Coleman