94 - several of problems - all vacuum related?

Having some problems with a 94 Explorer:

  1. Rear of valve cover, driver side, several vacuum hoses controlling ??? Intermittently, one or two will blow off when starting the car, resulting in rough idle, etc. Put them back on, car runs fine till the next time (weeks between).

  1. "Pinging" which seems to be getting worse and doesn't improve with a better grade of gas. Vacuum advance?

  2. Transmission now going to very high RPM before switching gears. Using the shift lever results in good changes, so I'm thinking the tranny is OK?

These seem like they might share a root cause - some sort of vacuum problem. Any ideas of how to troubleshoot? I can't afford to pay myself, let alone a mechanic, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks

tweaks

Reply to
tweaks

When my vacuum hoses from the cluster started blowing off it apparently was a result of a bad vacuum modulator in the automatic transmission. The connectors were contaminated with transmission fluid and swelled up and became loose. It was several months before the transmission started slipping. After I had by transmission replaced the problem was gone. Let's hope it's not your transmission too.

Reply to
Ulysses

Did the bad modulator ruin the transmission? Why did you end up replacing it? I guess I need to get it into my transmission shop, eh?

Reply to
tweaks

According to the people who replaced my transmission replacing the vacuum modulator would not help. I got two other opinions before replacing my transmission. Also, both sources said my transmission could not be rebuilt so I had to buy an already rebuilt unit. I think there was about a $1000 difference between the two scenerios--$700 vs $1700.

Maybe you are luckier than me (most are) and you don't need a new transmission, but the early Explorers have a habit of needing transmissions at around 150000-200000 miles.

Tip: don't let anyone work on your transmission who does not know that bad modulators cause fluid loss. I went for the lower priced quote and the shop is now out of business and gone. They started out with the low quote but before I was done it was, like I said, $1000 more. I recommend not signing anything until they decide how much work you need and how much it will be.

Reply to
Ulysses

Actually, took it in, and they replaced the servos - $225, and apparently that's all it took, though I'm danged lucky that I didn't drive it dry - it was down some fluid, but not a ton.

I replaced the modulator myself, which leaked about a quart onto my driveway, #&@*!(&#!@. $13 for the modulator, and an hour's work, then off the the tranny shop (A-1 Transmissions in Lubbock, TX) and it's fixed in one day. At least so far.

Thanks for the input!

tweaks

Reply to
tweaks