95 XLT: Goes forward but doesn't reverse or neutral

Hi,

I have a 1995 XLT with about 153K miles on it. I am experiencing a very strange problem and was hoping someone else out ther had dealt with it so I can get ideas on remedying the problem. At about 152K my XLT wouldn't move when i put the gear in reverse, it was as if it was parked. I put the gear in neutral and still couldn't budge it backwards. I then cycled through the gears from park to gear 1 and then i would put it in Reverse where it would start backing out after some thumps. Weeks would go by without that problem surfacing again, and reverse would work fine. When it did happen again, I would cycle the gears again, and I was off and about. I knew my luck would run out and it finally did, with my truck stuck in my garage. I had to get a tow truck to get it out of the garage. I took it to a local repair shop, and they said I needed a new transmission with a quote of about 2400. Thats more than the truck is worth and since going forward I have no problems, I am trying to see if someone else experienced something similar and what if anything did they do to fix it. Am I just not wanting to face the fact that I need a new transmission?

KP

Reply to
ketannita