96 EB heater woes

My heater will only come on if the outside temp reads 60 degrees or more on the overhead console, and then it doesn't come on every time. I looked through past posts but didn't find anything like this although the "blend door" problems sound somewhat similar. Is there a tie in between the temp sensor and the heater dontrol?

Reply to
okiejuan

"Heater doesn't come on...."... do we mean that the fan doesn't blow or what?

Reply to
Jim Warman

No fan, but I can feel a little heat coming out of the defrost vent, I think. When the temp outside gets above 60 then everything works fine. Hot air blowing to beat all hell. Of course that only helps my wife. I don't need the heater by that time. It's a mystery.

jd

Reply to
okiejuan

This may be the sign of a dying blower motor. With the car running and the heater turned on (when the concern is present), give the blower motor a firm rap.... If it starts up, there is a problem with the brushes or commutator.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Does the 96 have the a fan relay like the 94s? I had a problem in my

94 Explorer with the fan not running sometimes. Hitting the relay when the blower would not run would make it start up, and replacing the relay fixed it.
Reply to
Mike Iglesias

Is this relay in the fuse/relay box located on the drivers side under the hood, and if so which relay would it be. Or should I just give them all a tap?

Reply to
okiejuan

This sounds reasonable. The colder it is the more relucant it would be to start blowing. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Reply to
okiejuan

On the 94s it was under the hood on the passenger side. I don't know where it is on the 96s, but it was labeled on the relay box so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias