'96 Explorer 4.0L Engine Chirp

This is in regards to my '96 Explorer, 4.0L, 2WD, AT with 94K miles. The engine started making an intermittent "chirping" sound (best word I can think of) which I suspected was coming from the belt idler or tensioner bearing. Took off belt and checked both. Tensioner bearing was a little rough so I replaced that assy w/ new part. No help. Idler bearing was smooth and is original part. Did not replace it. Belt was stretched and cracked so I put a new Gates part on with no change. The noise is becoming a little more frequent although it mostly exhibits this symptom when engine is not yet at op temp, and when it's at idle although it has occasionally occurred when engine is at op temp and while driving at ~45mph, so there is no one condition under which it occurs. I have not heard it at high RPM but considering how noisy the vehicle tends to be, I may not be able to hear it under that condition, especially with the windows up, which at this time of year in FL, is always. I was having a hard time isolating the noise to right or left side of engine, thinking it was sourced from something the belt turns. It always sounded as though it was centered, which was frustrating since there is nothing in the center of this engine driven by the belt except the water pump and fan clutch, both not very good candidates for this kind of noise (I think). Finally I went to the side/fender area of the engine and at that point the noise very much seemed to be coming from within the intake maifold area.

I have no other symptoms or indicators. No coolant loss, oil loss, or oil/coolant mix. Engine runs well warm and cold, smooth idle (best you can expect from this engine, anyway) and when it makes this noise there are no other symptoms other than the noise. The engine has no history of repairs other than normal maint (plugs, wires, etc) and has been very much trouble free.

Any help or opinions on the source of this noise will be appreciated.

Thanks

B Thomson

Reply to
B Thomson

This may sound off the wall, but I had a similar "chirping" when the engine was cold. At first it was intermittent then it got more consistent (noticed it every morning instead of jus some mornings). Tried the same replacements you did and it wouldn't go away. Then one day while leaving work I noticed that the engine seemed to be vibrating some. I pulled over and put the truck in neutral and revved the engine pretty good a couple times. The vibration was pretty noticeable at R's so I quit revving it and decided to take it home. About 3 miles down the highway the truck just lost power like it went into neutral or something (engine revs but nothing happens). Pulled over, got a tow to the shop and long story short, the flex plate had broken. My mechanic said he hadn't really seen this problem before so he replaced it and life went on. 18 months later the noise started again and sure enough the flexplate broke again! My mechanic looked a little deeper this time and found some worn parts that may have led to the early death of the flex plate, but I'm still keep'n my fingers crossed.

Good Luck!

Reply to
LCC

We also have the same chirping. I've heard the "flex plate" being mentioned before as well. However, I don't know what it is or where it is.

Does anyone know more about this flex plate? Is it replaceable as a DIY, or should a shop do it? Is it part of the engine? Transmission?

Has anyone tried to replace it by themselves?

What worn parts may have lead to the chirping?

Thanks,

Mike

replacements

Reply to
Mike Mayer

It's basically the starting ring gear and the mechanical coupling for the torque converter of the automatic transmission. The flex plate spins the outside of the torque converter, which spins the pump inside the automatic transmission. It replaces the flywheel that is used on a manual transmission.

If the flex plate is cracking, I would suspect a major misalignment between the transmission and the engine. There are "adjusting shims" at the base of the engine oil pan and transmission.

Nasty if it happens to you. You have to pull the transmission to replace the flex plate. A heavy beast, and many garage mechanics do it.

appreciated.

Reply to
rakster

i have a 96 xlt and have gone thru 2 flexplates in the last 6 weeks! just driving down the road lost power, and they are not sure of the cause. unfortunately ford is aware of this problem. according to my mech.guy they have an updated flexplate cost is 130.00. but they won't guarantee that this will fix the problem. the story i am getting is that you just get to keep replacing them until you get lucky and find the right "fit"?

Reply to
bren