96 Explorer automatic temp control problem

I have a 96 Explorer XLT 5.0 with all the extras. I have since I've owned it always had the nagging "non adjustment" of the air temperature by which I solved by zip tieing the hearter control valve in the summer for cold air and releasing it in the winter for warm air. You can imagine my frustration during spring and summer. But alas, I have finally read the article about the actuator and it's problematic break which I believe is my problem as well. I have taken it off and I am in the process of drilling and glueing as we speak. But I have always had another minor problem as well and wonder it this first solution is the answer to my problem or if I actually have two problems.

Along with the temperature control NEVER working (I'm hoping this first fix solves that problem), the air flow selector has seemed to work when it wants to. Some times it will blow out the vents, sometimes it will blow out the defrost, sometimes it will blow out the floor. The defrost (being the default as I have read) seems to be the most prevalent. However, If I get in the car and turn the selector to max a/c, it will continue to blow out the defroster. But I can shut off the car and come back to it some time later and miraculously, it's blowing out the front vents as they should. Now if at this point I turn the selector to say defrost, it will, but if I immediately turn it to max a/c again, it would stay blowing out the defrost vents. On occasion, if I turn it to just 'vent', it would act like it should and blow out the front vents with not a/c, but I could go straight from 'vent' to max a/c and the a/c would come on but the air would redirect to the defrost vents. Believe me, it's gotten me confused too.

Now I'm thinking if the blend door fix does not correct this problem (perhaps the flow is based on the temperature blend door mechanism?) do I have a vacuum motor issue? Is that even part of the air system? And if so, where exactly is it? I have seen the vacuum lines coming off of the selector dial, but they disappear into the dash where I can trace then without taking the dash apart.

One final note, the heater control valve (under the hood, next to the evaporator coil) has never worked on its own no matter where the selector was positioned. I under stand this will be opened and closed according to certain positions on the selector knob.

I still have the actuator out and would like to try and get this solved before I put everything back together. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know I have exausted my resources and haven't found this particular problem addressed. Thanks again in advance.

Reply to
tx_aggie_jnorwood

I had a mustang that started doing that after I worked on the dash. It was due to the vacuum manifold that connects to the back of the selector switch not making a tight seal. One of the plastic ears had broken and it was not holding things tight anymore. Had to get a new selector valve. Basically it amounted to a vacuum leak problem and if yours isn't leaking at that selector valve it might be leaking elsewhere, cracked hose under the hood, leaking vacuum motor, or ???

Some times it will blow out the vents,

Reply to
Ashton Crusher